Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana to Benefit from Walmart’s
“Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” Campaign
Through online acts of support, purchases of participating products and donations at the register, the Fight Hunger. Spark Change. campaign aims to help Feeding America secure 100 million meals on behalf of member Food Banks
This week, Walmart launched its “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign, a nationwide initiative calling on the public to take action in the fight against hunger. The Feeding America nationwide network of 200 Food Banks, of which The Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana is a member, stands to benefit from the campaign goal to secure at least 100 million meals for Feeding America food banks across the country.
“We appreciate Walmart’s ongoing commitment to fighting hunger and are thrilled that Walmart is asking the public to get involved and make a difference in their local communities through the ‘Fight Hunger. Spark Change.’ campaign,” said Jean Toth, Executive Director of the Food Bank of NELA. “This campaign will significantly boost our collective ability to raise awareness about the issue of hunger in America, allowing us to secure more local funds and ultimately provide food to more people in need in Northeast Louisiana. We hope people across the region will take action and participate in the campaign.”
Working with customers, Discover and five of its national suppliers – Campbell Soup Company, General Mills, Kellogg Company, the Kraft Heinz Company and PepsiCo – Walmart is offering three easy ways for everyone to take action against hunger and help families in their own communities through social, online and in-store participation.
- Purchase: For every participating product purchased at U.S. Walmart stores from April 17 – May 15, 2017, the supplier will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) on behalf of a Feeding America member Food Bank, up to applicable limits. For every Discover card transaction made at Walmart and Walmart.com during the campaign period, Discover will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) to Feeding America and its network of member Food Banks, up to $1 million. See Walmart.com/fighthunger for further details.
- Online Acts of Support: Generate meals for Feeding America Food Banks by engaging with the Fight Hunger. Spark Change. campaign on social media:
- Facebook – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or react positively to campaign content; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
- Instagram – Create or share content using the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; like or share Walmart generated campaign content.
- Snapchat – Use Walmart provided “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” filters.
- Twitter – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or make a campaign tweet a favorite; retweet a message featuring the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
For each online act of support, Walmart will help secure 10 meals (an equivalent of $0.90) for Feeding America on behalf of member Food Banks, up to $1.5 million.
- Donate at the Register: Donate to The Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana at the register during checkout.
With the USDA reporting that one in eight people in America struggle with hunger, the “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign comes at a critical time. Here in Northeast Louisiana, 72,000 people may not know where they will find their next meal.
“This campaign is an important part of our ongoing commitment to helping families who struggle with hunger,” said Kathleen McLaughlin, president of the Walmart Foundation and chief sustainability officer for Walmart. “Together with suppliers, customers and friends at Feeding America, we’re dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of those who live and work in the communities we serve.”
To learn more about the campaign, visit www.walmart.com/fighthunger.
About The Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana
The Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that solicits, stores, and distributes food to partner agencies, children and seniors in 12 Parishes in Northeast Louisiana. Together, as a hunger-relief network we serve over 42,600 people annually. The Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana is a member of Feeding America and a United Way Partner Agency. To learn more about how you can help, please visit www.foodbanknela.org. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.